Day 546 -- 31st

Today was Colby's 31st birthday.

My dad bought him tickets to today's 1:05 Tigers' game against the Cardinals at Comerica Park.

And because we're teachers, a 1:05 game on a Thursday doesn't phase us one bit.

Just wanted to get that in there.

We started the day by visitng the site of the old Tiger Stadium on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. The stadium was torn down, but the flag that stood at center field remains, as does the dirt infield. You can walk onto the field, and Colby took this opportunity to film one of his book reviews.  He was pratically shaking with excitement, standing on the same field as virtually every past great player in the game did at one time or another.

Within a block of the stadium site was a cute little bar called O'Blivion's, that we stopped at for lunch.  It was a really cool place with lots of spectacular Tiger Stadium memorabilia and an awesome tuna melt (which Colby was not nearly as excited about -- he opted for the taco salad).

Then, we made our way to Comerica Park.  We found a great, free parking spot and walked down to the second row on the first base side to our seats, amazingly close to the action.  Here is a picture of how Colby felt about it:


But nothing could capture the way he felt when the Tigers won in extra innings.  After a long, hot battle, the score stood at 1-1 in the bottom of the 10th, when Quintin Berry knocked a single that drove the winning Tiger scorer home.  Colby had been raving all day about this new player, so he was thrilled to see him responsible for the winning run.

For his 18th birthday, I took Colby to a Tigers' game (at old Tiger Stadium).  I drove the Geo Metro.  I made him a mixed tape.  A vendor on our way in told me that he should keep me around for getting him such a great present. 

I'm glad he did.

Today I'm thankful that 14 birthdays later, I was able to celebrate an amazing man with a Tigers' victory.

Thank God for his 31st!

Dear God, thank you for my husband, who I fall in love with a little more with every passing birthday.  Thank you for an unforgettable day together and for a Tigers' win (that definitely helped!).  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!