Day 547 -- Century (Plus)

Today, I biked 105 miles.  That's five miles over what's known as a "century" in the biking world.

I never, EVER thought I would be able to ride my bike one hundred miles.  Even when I signed up initially for Lake Placid Ironman, I was skeptical as to how I was going to ride my bike the 112 miles of the course. 

When I first bought Quicksilver (yes, I have named my bike...we spend a lot of time together, so get over it), I was daunted by a 20 mile ride, and felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I completed my first ride from Spring Arbor to Albion and back.

Last year, training for the Steelhead Half-Ironman, I worked my way up to about 50 miles before completing the 56 mile course at the race.

Today, in six hours I rode 105 miles.  Please don't do the math, as the pace is not stellar, but that's not the point.

I did it.

It was the most overwhelming workout of my program: six hours on the bike followed by a 25 minute run.  It had been looming large on the horizon for about five weeks now, and I had been dreading it. 

But, now I can say that I've done it.  Only one more tough workout this week and I'll begin my taper and recovery weeks.  Because, after all, the race is exactly one month from today. 

I'm at the point now where I start to get emotional every time I really think about the race.  It seems so real now; everything I have lived, breathed, and dreamed about for the past year is right here within reach.  I'm so excited to just do it and finish.  I'm so terrified that I won't be able to.  What will I feel when I cross that finish line?  What will I feel if I don't? 

I guess what I am thankful for today is being one step closer to grasping that dream.  This was a victory I had to fight for in order to get to Lake Placid, one that I never imagined I would be able to do.  I learned a lot about what I need to eat and drink, and how I need to pace my ride (SLOW), so I'm thankful for the opportunity to apply this knowledge to my race as well.

Thank God for a century (plus)!

Lord, thank you for helping me get one step closer to my dream.  Please give me the mental and physical strength over the next few weeks to complete my training and to cross that finish line one month from today.  In your name I pray, Amen.


Comments

Barb said…
I KNOW you can rock this!
Barb said…
I KNOW you can rock this!
Sarah Eles said…
That's Awesome Alaina! Keep up the hard work!
Anonymous said…
wtg, Niece of mine :) SOS

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!