Day 579 -- J

I honestly never thought we would make it home tonight. Every flight we experienced as a part of this trip was delayed significantly. That's 0 for 4 people. And just so we are clear, I really hate airports. There are too many people for my taste, it smells weird, and the beer costs too much, among other things.

We sat in the Newark airport, serious contender for cesspool of the universe, and listened to our son cry for us to come home over the phone while watching our departure time slip later and later on the boards. When we finally did board our final flight, we sat back only to remain grounded on the runway for over an hour.

My incredible friend J had previously agreed to pick us up at in Detroit, but I was concerned because we had originally been scheduled to land at 10:30 - late enough for my friend and mother of two small children. Now our arrival time was more like 2 am.

I shouldn't have worried. Every time I texted J to update her, she responded with encouragement and even offered to let us stay over night instead of driving back to Albion so late.

When we finally touched down in Detroit and made our way through baggage claim, she was waiting outside with a huge smile on her face. She embraced me and told me how proud she was, then listened to me prattle on about the race all the way back to her house to pick up our car. I absolutely hated to say good bye to my dear friend, but it was late, so we hugged again with promises to see each other soon.

I am so thankful for my friend every day, but today I am so grateful for her selflessness. I know she would do anything for me, even when I am so undeserving. At the end of a day that seemed as though it would go on indefinitely, she was an unfailing reminder of how blessed I really am.

Thank God for J!

God, thank you for my friend and for the blessings she brings into my life without fail. Thank you or what she did for us this week and for her friendship. In your name, Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!