Day 587 -- Feeling Accomplished

I got Quicksilver back yesterday, as previously mentioned.  I sort of wasn't expecting to want to get on and ride right away, but this evening I decided that a bike ride sounded just perfect.  When I wheeled the bike into the garage, however, I noticed that not only was I missing a couple of pedals, but I definitely had a flat back tire.

This would be the sort of thing that would normally make me say, "Mehh, I don't really want to ride my bike that much."

I was elated that among the challenges I faced on the IM Lake Placid bike course, a flat tire was not one of them.  I have forever felt woefully inadequate in even the most basic bike maitenance, and I have repaired my own flat tire a total of 1 time in the seven years I have owned my bike.  It didn't go so well, and I ended up having to have it re-repaired by an expert a couple of days later.

Today, I decided I would change my own tire --even if it was the back tire, making it about ten times harder in my mind.

Dharia and AJ ran around the front yard "helping" me (ummmm, taking my tubes and cartridges and sprinkling them about the yard is not helping at all, for the record) as I grunted, struggled, and sweated to get the old tube out and the new tube in.  When I finally got the tire back on, I let out a little whoop of joy.  Dharia asked, "Mom, why did you do that?"  When I explained to her why I was so excited, she just stared at me.  Obviously, this was not anything impressive to my four year-old. 

But, you know what?  I changed that freaking tire.  And I got this weird, but amazing sense of accomplishment. 

And then I went for the most refreshing and wonderful bike ride. It was short, which is partly why I think it felt so good.  Then again, I think anything would seem short after last Sunday.

It's not like changing a tire is that big of a deal.  People do it every day, and I'm sure with practice, later on down the road I will roll my eyes my when I read this post.  But it's more than just the fact that I changed the tire, to me.  Today felt like a page was turned.  Last year after the Rev3 Cedar Point half IM, I rode my bike just a handful of times in the four or so months before I picked up training again.  I imagined that after the beastly hard, time intensive training I just completed, I would experience the same sort of despondency towards my bike.  Today, I not only wanted to ride, I wanted to learn more about my bike and work towards becoming a better cyclist.  That's exciting to me. 

Tonight I am grateful for the opportunity I had to practice my bike maitenance.  I am also thankful for the reminder that I am growing as an athlete and as a person.  It feels good.

Thank God for feeling accomplished!

Lord, thank you for little moments like these that give us the opporutnity to grow, or to see that we have grown.  I am so grateful for all of the lesson you have taught me in this journey and for the way you have changed me throughout the course of my training and the race.  Please continue to help me honor you as I search out the next adventure.  In your name I pray, Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!