Day 590 -- Geocaching

Breslin has been bugging us to go on a scavenger hunt lately.  I would try to start making one, but it always ended up being a little more work than I want to put in.  Tonight I decided I was going to man-up and just do it.  I started doing some research online and ended up at the Calhoun County Visitors Bureau Geocache Challenge.

I have heard about geocaching a lot, but have never had the opportunity or the resources to do it. It's basically a treasure hunt using GPS coordinates.  When we explained the premise to Breslin, his face lit up like a Christmas tree and it was game on.  We looked up a few caches in Albion, sent the coordinates to Colby's new fancy phone (donated by his brother), and we were off in the van to search out our treasure.  We stayed close to home at first, because we weren't really sure what we were getting into.

The kids loved following "the map" and looking around the first location to find the container.  Finally, after a lot of searching, we found a tiny container.  Inside was a log book, where we entered our new geocache name, "BresLouJoy" and the date. 



From there, we were hooked.  We did four more finds and probably would have done more had our fun not been spoiled by the ominous looking storm clouds rapidly coming our way.


To be honest, I think by the end, Colby and I were having a lot more fun than the kids.  At times, I also thought that we might have had more fun without the kids...

But, I am so very thankful that we did take the kids and that we showed them some adventure in the great outdoors.   I'm so grateful for the opportunity to try something new and fun.  I truly believe that it is something we will continue to do throughout our lives.  I'm excited to learn more about it and to see where it takes us!

Thank God for geocaching!

Lord, thank you for the fun we had as a family today and for the chance to try something new.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim Stuart said…
There is such pure joy in Adelai's face in that first picture! Wonderful!
Chelsea P said…
Just another reason to move to WA... Geocaching on mountains is WAY more fun than geocaching on flats; while I must admit, however, the stinkers out here are SUPER good at hiding the caches and it's an endeavor for sure!!! (even if I can't get ya to move out here... We'll have a ton of fun things to do WHEN you do come visit!)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!