Day 607 -- One Tough Cookie

My Dharia Lou can be one tough cookie.

Today, we rectified the letter we got in the mail, acknowledging that she was delinquent on several of her vaccinations.

Read: My poor baby had to get four shots today.

I told her that she was going to have to get some "pokes" and that it would probably hurt, but we had to do it so that she didn't get sick later.  She seemed okay with it, told me she was going to be brave, and marched resolutely up to the examination table when the nurses came into the room brandishing 4 syringes.

When I asked her if she wanted to sit in my lap, she shook her head no, but told me she'd like for me to hold her hand.

She did shed some tears, but when it was all said and done, she was proud of her four Looney-Tunes bandages and asked the nurses if she could pick out a sticker for her brother and sister in addition to the one they offered to her.  She happily selected a lollipop and seemed no worse for the wear by the time we left the office.

I didn't exactly know what to expect for the rest of the day.  Dharia was scheduled to be at day care all day today, but I was prepared to have a very grumpy, sleepy girl at home for the instead if she needed it.  When I asked her what she wanted to do, she didn't hesitate to say she wanted to go back to see her friends at Miss Liz's (day care) and was thrilled to see that they had the giant water slide out in the yard to play on when we got there.

I told the girls at Heaven's Little Helpers what was going on, and gave them permission to call me at the slightest hint of grouchiness.  I did get called at 3:30, but it was for Breslin, not Dharia.  Apparently, he was not feeling well and was running a low grade fever.  Interesting.  Dharia, for all they knew, was perfectly fine.

So, I went to pick all of the kids up at Heaven's.   Dharia had her first gymnastics practice of the season slated for this evening, and I didn't really know if she'd feel up to it.  I shouldn't have expected any different when the first thing out of her mouth when I saw her was, "Okay, mommy, time for gymnastics!"

Her coach told me tonight that she did a great job at practice, even though she hobbled around a little bit with stiff legs from the shots.  When I asked Dharia if her legs bothered her at gymnastics, she smiled and said, "Not even a little bit, mommy!"

I couldn't resist getting this picture of her in her leotard with all of her bandages after practice:




Or this one of Breslin at the store, discovering that this cheese had the same name as his dad (but that's completely off topic):


Don't get me wrong, my kids can be as whiny as all get out at times, but tonight I was so thankful that my Dharia took her shots like a champ.  All day she had a great attitude and she focused on the things in her life that made her happy instead of the pain she was in or in search of the pity she deserved.  I could stand to learn a lesson from this little girl, I think.

Thank God for my tough cookie!

Dear God, thank you for bringing comfort to my daughter today.  Thank you that getting four shots wasn't too traumatic and that she had lots of fun things to do afterward that kept her mind off of it.  Thank you that she seems to be feeling fine after a long, hard day.  Please help her to get some good rest tonight and to feel normal again tomorrow. Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Lou Lou looks great in her little leotard!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!