Day 614 -- The Last Day

Today was Breslin's last official day of daycare.  A week from today he starts KINDERGARTEN!  I remember leaving him with my mom when he was just over 7 weeks old, when I tearfully walked out the door to drive my car back to school after a unbelievably short maternity leave. 

It marks the end of an era for Breslin.  Along the way, he was blessed with some pretty amazing caregivers. 

In the spring after he was born, we managed to secure family members to watch him until the summer.  It was pretty cool to know that people like my mom, Bob, Colby's mom, my dad, Laura, Suzanne, my Grandmommy, Colby's Grandma Vilminot, and April were hanging out with him.  Somehow it made being away from him a little easier.

Then there was his first official "center" at Miss Kris' house.  Finding her was completely a God thing, without a doubt.  I remember anxiously calling center after center for rates and availability.  Every place was full or expensive and I was at my wits end.  After a couple of days of this, I vented to my mother-in-law, who mentioned that one of her neighbors was going to have a place for a baby.  I went over to talk to this woman, and knew instantly that I could trust her with my babies for as long as she'd watch them.  I was right.  Kris loved and doted on both Breslin and Dharia until she took another job (with better hours and fewer dirty diapers).  I will forever be indebted to her for the love she showed my kids.

After Miss Kris moved on, we trusted God to help us find another place that would take in not just Breslin and Dharia, but our new baby as well.  Kris suggested Julie and Liz from Heaven's Little Helpers.  Since taking them to Heaven's, Colby and I have remarked several times how incredibly lucky we are.  The girls at Heaven's teach my kids about Jesus and letters, help them make crafts, sing fun songs with them, and seem to really treasure the things that make my kids unique.  Miss Liz, who has been Breslin's preschool lead teacher from day one, especially, has had a special bond with Breslin.  And, from the way she looked today, I think she's really going to miss him too.

As sad as it is for this chapter of my son's life to be closing, I can't help but be excited for what's coming next.  After his last day of preschool, he headed off to his first "Meet the Teacher Night" at Warner Elementary.  He got to meet his new teacher, Mrs. Moffitt (or Mrs. Muffin, as Dharia calls her), find his desk, and learn how to open his locker.  He is so pumped to go to school, I can't help but be pumped too.

So, tonight, I'm tearfully thankful for 5 and a half years of compassionate, patient, and loving people who have daily looked after my son.  But I am joyfully grateful that he has emerged from it fully prepared for his school days.  Look out, Warner Elementary!  Here comes Breslin!

Thank God for the last day!

Lord, thank you for all of the people who have helped bring Breslin to where he is today, who have loved and cherished the unique little person he is.  Thank you for a new exciting chapter in his life.  I pray that you will continue to bless us in this adventure.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Unbelievable! it really is a new chapter, isn't it? Should be a fun and exciting new chapter...
David R. said…
Yeah, Warner! A good school for a sharp kid.

Sharp kid.

Both.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!