Day 630 -- Mile Repeats

Coach Wilcox is asking me to run with the girls' cross-country team quite often this year as a part of my coaching duties.  This is a good thing, because I can get a workout in during normal practice time--essentially killing two birds with one stone for me.  I don't have to try to do anything after getting home, which is wonderful considering my skills are limited to sitting on the couch, eating, and sleeping from the time I walk through my front door at night.  I am a slug.

I also get to do a lot of coaching on the course, which is where I feel I have the most to offer these girls.  This makes me feel as though I am contributing more to their growth and success.  So that's good too.

But, tonight I'm thankful for making it through a tough workout with girls half my age.  The girls did mile repeats today, which is the hardest workout we have them do during the season.  Essentially, you run a mile as fast as you can, then rest for three minutes.  Then do it again.  Then do it again.

Not only did I finish the workout with the girls feeling strong, I managed to be able to yell at, umm...strongly encourage, them during the entire three miles.  :)

Afterwards, I felt so good that I decided to do an unheard-of fourth mile repeat, just because I wasn't quite ready to be done with my workout and I had time before I had to leave to pick up the kids.    I decided to really go for it to see what I could get for time.

I was shocked to see that I had run my fourth mile repeat in 6 minutes, 5 seconds. 

Not bad for a 30 year-old mother of three.  I'll take it.

I wrapped up the entire workout by putting in another 4+ miles for a cool down and walked back into the school dripping with sweat, but with a grin on my face.

I was grateful for so many things as a part of this workout: the chance to be outdoors on a beautiful day after being cooped up inside; the opportunity to connect with a wonderful group of girls; the ability to run until my lungs hurt and my head was clear; the confidence of finishing stronger than my own expectations.

Thank God for mile repeats!

Lord, thank you for giving me the time, energy, and opportunity to run a hard workout with my team today.  Thank you for the emotional, mental, and physical boost it gave to me.  In your name I pray, Amen.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!