Day 668 -- Getting Over It

I haven't been out on my bike since the big crash I had a few weeks ago.

I have ridden, but it's been on my trainer, in the comfort of my own home, where there are no railroad tracks to ride/fall over.

Today was so beautiful, I was just aching to go for a ride.  But, the fear of falling loomed large in my mind.

I decided to get over it.  I got on that bike and headed straight for those railroad tracks. 

I floated over without any problem whatesoever.  Afterward, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and commenced with enjoying the glory of the fall day surrounding me. 

It was a phenomenal ride, a fabulous workout, and a most enjoyable hour spent in the beauty of God's creation.  I'm so glad that I didn't let a little tumble a few weeks ago keep me from getting back on my bike today.  I really would have missed out.

Thank God for getting over it!

Lord, thank you for helping me stay safe today and to face my fear.  Thank you for a great bike ride and for the beautiful fall day you gave us.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Sarah Eles said…
Good for you Alaina!

Five years ago I crashed my bike and wound up blowing out my knee and getting some pretty bad road rash. I was going really fast and in a millisecond went from thinking about getting home and having supper with my family, to planting my helmet into the cement. I never figured out what I hit in the road that made me fall. It felt as if someone pulled my bike right out from under me. It was a freak accident... and so to this day if I am going really fast I remember that incident and get a little scared or even slow down. I never would have imagined that I would crash my bike like that...just like I never imagine that I'll stub my toe in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, or have my eye "poked out" by one of my adorable girls :) That bike accident did three things for me. First, it made me a HUGE bike helmet advocate. I won't get on my bike without one, and I make sure to tell my tale to other people in hopes that they will wear theirs, because you really never know when you might crash and hit your head. Two, it made me appreciate the bravery of professional cyclists who risk major crashes every time they race. And finally, it taught me that accidents really are inevitable in this life!This is why we shouldn't let accidents stop us from doing stuff...they are unpredictable and we don't always know what the outcome will be...sometimes accidents even wind up being positive. I do believe that all our experiences in life happen for a reason, and sometimes it just takes years and years before we can truly learn and grow from a bad experience. Accidents help to shape and mold us and the people around us, and hopefully they help us to appreciate and realize how good we really have it when things are going "our" way. When you are reminded of your crash while riding I pray that you think of it as your own personal blessing that helps to remind you that you are healthy. Instead of getting scared, get thankful. Turn it into something positive. :)

I'm glad to hear you're back on the road.

I love your blog, keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!