Day 684 -- Hot Chocolate

I came to pick up Breslin from piano lessons today to see him sipping on some hot cocoa in my aunt's kitchen.  She was already into the next lessson, so Breslin was just chilling on his own, working on some homework and drinking his hot chocolate.  When I told him it was time to go, he was devastated.  He didn't want to go without finishing his drink, but at the same time, I needed to get Dharia to gymnastics in Battle Creek--stat.  We didn't exactly have time to sit around and watch Breslin daintily sip down the rest.

In a moment of rare clarity and innovation, I dashed to the van and grabbed my coffee thermos that I take to school every morning.  I poured the cocoa into the thermos and Breslin happily followed me out to the van.  When I dropped him off at grandma's house, I poured the cocoa into a new cup and he was thrilled that it was still hot.  The grin he gave me as he wrapped his little hands around his new cup of hot chocolate was something I'll never forget.

During this time, the girls had caught wind of the whole hot chocolate idea.  Needless to say, they were dying to try some themselves.  Since Colby was grocery shopping this evening, I put hot cocoa mix on the list.

When we returned home from gymnastics, the girls and I sat together at the kitchen counter and drank a mug of hot chocolate together.  They both had themselves a pretty good chocolate mustache going, and I enjoyed the time I got to spend sharing a treat with my daughters.

Thank God for hot chocolate!

Lord, thank you for simple things that bring us together.  Thank you for the joy my children bring into even the most hectic days.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!