Day 691 -- Visit to Albion College

Every year, I write a grant so that I can take my advanced chemistry seniors to Albion College.  It's one of my favorite days of the year.

Disclaimer: Even though as an Alma Scot I was trained to hate the Britons, Albion has grown on me during the five years I have lived here.  Not only is it my hometown, but the faculty and staff at Albion College have been generously helpful in my efforts to expose my students to life beyond high school.

Dr. Metz, one of the chemistry professors at Albion College, graciously sacrifices time out of his busy schedule to talk to my seniors, even going so far as to treat them to a general chemistry lecture, as though they were freshmen taking a first year chemistry course.  It is always an eye-opening experience for them seeing the breadth, depth, and scope of a 1 hour class at the college level. 

Dory Lerew, who works in admissions, always sets us up with student-led tours of campus and a hearty lunch.  Even though I know that, for most students, this trip won't make them choose Albion (unfortunately), I like it because it gives them plenty of things to think about in their own journey to choosing a college that may have never surfaced before.

In the past, advanced chemistry students have talked positively about the trip, which has caused their peers to look into Albion and eventually matriculate.  Currently 15 Western High School Alumni attend Albion College, many as an indirect result of this annual trip.

I love talking with my students about the entire experience, from the lecture to their thoughts about life on campus.  I get to know vastly more about their career aspirations, their academic goals, and their priorities in life.  Getting a feel for this new dimension is immensely rewarding for me.

I am so very thankful for Dr. Metz and Dory, who year after year go out of their way to make this trip happen for us.  And I'm grateful for a day out of the year that I can dedicate to getting know my students better in an experience that proves valuable for them in a variety of ways.

Thank God for our visit to Albion College!

Lord, thank you for our experience at Albion College today.  Thank you for the people who were willing to sacrifice their time for us and who made it all possible.  Please help me students to recognize valuable pieces of information they picked up today as they reflect on their experiences.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!