Day 697 -- Google Calendar

Tonight I am thankful for my Google calendar.  I know that probably sounds pretty dumb, but it has saved my hind-end parts many, many times.  When there is something going on or something that I need to make sure gets done by a certain date, I immediately schedule it into the calendar because I can create it so that I am reminded by on my phone, by email, by computer pop-up, and/or a text message.  Believe me, sometimes I need all of these reminders!  I can't tell you how many times I've woken up to one of my little reminders going off on my phone about something I completely forgot about.  I still don't always make it where I'm supposed to be or accomplish what needs to be done, but I seem a lot more responsible because of this Internet-based calendar.   As an added bonus, I can input events or tasks either online at school or home or with my phone no matter where I am. 

I can only imagine if I had to carry around one of those little paper calendar things where you had to write down appointments.  People, you are reading the blog of a girl who loses her keys daily!  I would lose an appointment book before the first event was even written down!  And in case you're wondering, YES, I am just as likely to lose my phone, as I proved on Friday, but I would still have my calendar available on any computer that had the Internet. 

I realize that right now I'm not making myself look too good at the moment.   This is reality, folks.  I'm truly sorry to say that.

Another thing I appreciate about Google calendar is that it has a color-coding feature that allows me to enter each member of my family's various obligations in a different color.  I'm a very visual person, so this is nice for me.  Plus, I'm easily amused, so I love that I am able to put special stamps and smileys on different events when I have the time for such frivolities...which should be never.   Usually this happens when I'm pretty spaced out and brain-fried and really should be doing something else much more productive. 

And finally, I love that Colby and I are able to share calendars, so that we can instantly get an idea of what the other person is doing and when.  Whenever Colby adds an event to his calendar, it automatically gets added to mine (in orange), which gives us one less logistical hurdle to overcome.  It's nice in a totally weird way to look at the calendar, see something in orange and say to myself, "Oh, Colby's in an ELA meeting right now.  I wonder how that's going!" or "Oh, crap, Colby has Title Talk tonight.  Guess I'm not going swimming!"

I honestly don't know how I would survive without my Google calendar, and I know it's just going to get more crazy as the kids get older.   So, I'm glad I get to practice and get better at it now.  And I'm incredible grateful for this tool that has and will continue to be so helpful in getting my family where we need to be.  So, even though it seems pretty trivial, I'm thankful that God has provided a way through technology to help make life easier.  I take that as a blessing, indeed.

Thank God for my Google Calendar!

Lord, thank you for the ways in which technology makes our lives easier.  Thank you for the way that Google calendar can connect me to my husband and helps me to be more responsible.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!