Day 735 -- Running in a Snow Globe

Around 2 pm this afternoon, I decided to go out for a run.  The snow was coming down, but my schedule lately had been such that I had been relegated to riding my bike for the past few days' worth of workouts.  I needed to be outside, breathe the cold winter air, and feel the pavement pound underneath my feet.

So, I went. 

And the first couple of miles were absolutely miserable. 

Let it be said that I am an unapologetic snow freak. I love snow...the more, the better. Last winter was really tough for me, and so far this year has been as well. Some people get season affective disorder when they don't get enough sun. I feel the same way about the snow. There is something about it that just makes me happy.

But this was just ridiculous.

I had my head down, running into the howling wind, and was shocked to find that icicles actually formed on my eyelashes and brows.  I persevered, and tried to talk myself into enjoying the wonderfulness that was running in a blizzard.  I wasn't very effective and chalked it up to a lack of practice.  But, nevertheless, I eventually hit the four mile mark, and turned around to head for home.

When I did, the most amazing thing happened.  The wind that was at my face was now at my back.  I could finally pick up my head and look around me...and it was beautiful. 

For the remaining four miles back home, I was running in a snow globe.  The snowflakes that seemed so angry and sinister just minutes earlier seemed peaceful and lazy, quiet.  I heard the snow crunch under my feet.  It was incredible.  In an instant, the entire experience had changed.  Once more I was in love with the snow. 

 So I got home with a smile on my face and I felt so blessed that I was able to make it through those first four miles so that I could experience the last. 

Thank God for running in a snow globe!

Lord, thank you for the beautiful snow today.  Thank you for getting me outside to enjoy it.  I am grateful that you gave me strength to push through the first part of my run so that I could truly enjoy the last part.  Thank you for blessing me with that time today.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

April. said…
LOVE this! We should go snow running together some time. Best ever!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!