Day 782 -- Electron Configuration Battleship

Today, I used the game Battleship to teach my juniors how to predict the electron configuration of an atom based on its position on the periodic table.

It was awesome.

To a student, every single kid in my class today was excited to do the activity I had planned.  I didn't have to harp on anyone to stay on task or listen to anyone moan and groan about the day's agenda.  I saw students engaged, practicing, learning.  It was blissful.

I bust my tail every day to do what I can to help my students learn in a way that is meaningful, relevant, and engaging. I research.  I plan.  I obsess. Some days are a giant flop, some days are mediocre, and some days are really, really good.  I was so incredibly thankful for today, both for the encouragement it gave to me and for the apparent positive effect it had on my students' understanding of electron configuration.

Thank God for electron configuration Battleship!

God, thank you for a good day at school.  Thank you for a giving me a lesson plan that worked well and helped my students.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

David R. said…
I'd love to see the rules for your game. Would you be willing to share?

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!