Day 839 -- 1st Place

Tonight I got to snuggle with Breslin on the couch a little bit.  We had been playing outside for a good part of the evening, and we were getting some quality time in before bed.

I asked him about various parts of his day, and for some reason, he was describing how his "centers"  work at school.  Apparently, he is on the "Red Team", which he loves because it is his favorite color.  When I inquired as to who his teammates were, he specifically named Seth, who I remembered from his birthday party.  I asked him who else was on the Red Team and he told me:

"Ummmmm....there are others, but Seth is my very favorite.  Seth is my very best favorite friend."

I was so excited (and a little surprised) to hear that Breslin has such a good friend at school, that I gave him a little squeeze.  He hesitated for a moment, then said,

"Well, actually Seth is just 2nd place, mom."

I craned my head up from where I was snuggling him to look at him and asked, "Why's that, buddy?"

He sighed and said, "Because you are really my 1st place favorite friend.  So Seth is just 2nd place."

My heart did a little flip-flop of happiness in my chest at these sweet words.  My Breslin is so independent and matter-of-fact that sometimes I feel that I'm not needed much as his mom.  I just chalk this up to his personality, but it's still hard sometimes.  Moments like this remind me that he really does love, need, and think about me and that fills my heart with joy.

Thank God for being 1st place!

Lord, thank you for my son and for the place I hold in his heart.  It was humbling and an honor to see that today.  Help me to be a good mom to him and to help guide him in a way that brings glory to you.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

April said…
As I was reading here were my reactions:

When I read that Seth was his BFF...
AWW! Seth was so great! What a perfect BFF for our Bresly.

When I read that you were his #1...
quiet weeping

That kid of yours! His makes my heart melt!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!