Day 849 -- My Knight in Shining Armor

Even though it was Friday, I knew I needed to do my long run before leaving school for the weekend.  Since Colby is in San Antonio presenting for the International Reading Association, I am on solo parenting duty.  This, as I'm sure you can imagine, makes Ironman training even more difficult than normal.  I am relegated to training that I can do while someone watches the kids for me or at home.

So, anyway, the long run.

It was an hour and half run that needed to be done, and I was already asking people to watch the kids for various other reasons this weekend.  It was now or never.  Even so, it was cold and a fierce wind was howling outside my windows.

I didn't wanna run.

I eventually got over myself, bundled up and headed out into the blustery cold.  An hour and a half later, I returned to the parking lot -- freezing but happy.  I sucked it up and did what I needed to do. I felt proud and tough.

Then, I walked over to my van and saw my big fat flat tire on the back passenger side.  And that is a great way to take the wind right of your sails.  Or at least it would be if it wasn't a freaking hurricane outside, that is.

Anyway, my brain started going into overdrive trying to imagine what I would be able to do to be able to pick up my girls before daycare closed and get all of us home.  I walked into the building to collect my things and consider my options.  But, as I opened the door to go inside, I just happened to turn around.  I saw none other than my father-in-law, Rob Sharp, kneeling down beside my van with an air compressor, filling up my back passenger tire with air.

I ran over and called him my knight in shining armor.  He smiled and said he saw that it was flat when he came to pick up Sam from practice.  So, he came back from home just so that I would be okay.

I am so thankful for this man, who loves me like his own and always takes such good care of me, even though I am so incredibly undeserving.  Instead of having to freeze outside in the wind as my sweat dried, worrying, I instead got to get in my van and drive away, as though nothing was ever wrong.  For that and for my knight in shining armor, I consider myself extremely blessed.

Thank God for my knight in shining armor!

Lord, thank you for my father-in-law and for his willingness to help me today.  Thank you for watching out for me and providing me with a way out of a bad situation.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!