Day 891 -- My Own Room

Since my room is slated for demolition and renovations this summer, I need to entirely clear it out before the end of the school year.  Men in hard  hats with sledgehammers will enter at the end of the school day June 11 (our last day) to begin the process of removing all existing structures in the room.  Basically, if I don't want it destroyed, I have to pack it up and move it out.

As you can probably imagine, this is an overwhelming and stressful task.  I have spent the last few days getting things off of my walls, emptying out my desks into boxes, and packing up lab equipment.  Despite several hours worth of work, I feel as though I haven't yet made a dent.

Tonight Colby and were chatting, and I was talking about how it felt like I was moving out of my classroom entirely -- almost like I was going to a different school.  This got us to reminiscing about my days at Northwest.  After my third year, I moved to Western and Colby and I spent a very long afternoon packing up my things.

All my whining about moving, however, ceased when I thought about my first two years at Northwest, when I taught from a cart.  Each hour of the day, I pushed my things around on an overhead projector cart.  I had no room to call my own.  It was tough in so many ways.  But mostly, it made me feel like I wasn't a real teacher, somehow.  I didn't realize this until I had my own space how difficult it truly was.

I am so thankful that I have my own classroom, even if I have to move completely out of it this summer.  I am grateful that my room will be getting improvements made to it and that next year it will still be mine.  I am lucky to have a job that I love and a room of my own.

If you're not busy, you can come help me pack. :)

Thank God for my own room!

Lord, thank you for my room.  Thank you that I don't have to teach on a cart any more.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!