Day 913 -- Kids Read Comics

Today, Breslin, Dharia, Colby and I headed back to Ann Arbor (home of the Jazzy Veggie) for the Kids Read Comics event.  Colby was scheduled to contribute to a panel recording a podcast at 3:30 pm at the Ann Arbor public library, and several of his tweeps were there to show off their latest graphic novel feats.

Of particular interest was John Green, who illustrates Phineas and Ferb of Nickelodeon fame.  He also designed our nErDcamp logo for us.  We got to chat with John and he drew each of our kids a Phineas and Ferb character as they watched.  My favorite part of the interaction was hearing Dharia ask John, "What's your favorite thing to color?"

We attended a session titled "Make a Mini-Comic" which both Breslin and Dharia enjoyed immensely.  Each of my kids created a mini-comic carefully following the instructions given by their instructor.  The result was The Amazing Bad Day, by Breslin, and The Prince Saves the Princess, by Dharia.

Dharia reading AJ her mini-comic before bed.

I was so thankful to be married to my husband, who is a bonafide rock star of this world.  Chatting with authors and illustrators, recording podcasts, and introducing me to his "followers", I watched him in awe and admiration.  I am so proud of the man that he is and feel blessed to be his wife.

I am exceedingly grateful that my kids were able to experience this event.  It was so unlike anything else we have ever been to.  We learned vast amounts about the graphic novel world and came to appreciate the tremendous amount of work and talent represented in these unique art forms.

We even stopped at the Jazzy Veggie for dinner on the way home.

It was a great day.

Thank God for Kids Read Comics!

Lord, thank you for a wonderfully different day.  Thank you for my amazing husband and for the way that his hard work created this opportunity for my kids to learn and have fun.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!