Day 940 -- Cooler Duty

It is HOT.  Yesterday we slaved in a shadeless transition area and finish line setting up all of the fencing, flagging, clocks, and registration shelters.  We were sweaty, miserable creatures.  To make matters worse, the air conditioning in the staff RV cause the fuse to blow every time we turned it on.  There was no relief and another hot day on the horizon.

When this morning dawned there was still much work to be done.  Cooler duty was on that list.  It really is a job that nobody really likes, mostly because it's tedious, messy, and lugging the coolers full of water up onto a giant truck bed isn't exactly easy.

Nevertheless, I signed up right away, and as soon as the day began, I drove down to Round Lake in a giant dualie GM 3500 full of a double layer of 5 gallon coolers.

I had an ulterior motive, though.  I didn't truthfully volunteer myself just out of the goodness of my heart, I'm sorry to say.

Another thing that happens during cooler duty is that you get soaked.  Spraying out the coolers, bleaching them down, rinsing them out, and filling them up includes just that many opportunities to get hit with an errant stream from the hose.  Not to mention that the tops of the coolers aren't exactly spill proof.  Almost every time I heaved one up onto the bed of the truck, I'd get a healthy trickle down my neck and chest.

It was delightful.  Even though the morning was already getting steamy, I felt cool and refreshed.  The rest of the day I felt better because of the work that I did in the morning.

Thank God for cooler duty!

Lord, thank you for giving me work that helped me feel less hot and gross.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!