Day 955 -- The VCR

We have TV issues at our house.

Several months ago, our large flatscreen TV (not a plasma, by the way...one of those big projection TVs) bit the dust.  It was about time.  Colby  and I bought it from Circuit City (no longer in business) shortly after we were married (nearly 10 years ago).

We didn't really want to spend the money to replace it, so we borrowed one of my dad's TVs, which broke just a couple of weeks after we took it home.  Oops.

At this point, it was obvious that we were TV killers.

Therefore, in the interest of TVs everywhere, we decided against getting another TV.  We didn't have cable or an antenna anyhow, so we were basically using it as large screen for Netflix.

And so the weeks and months went by where everything we watched was either on a laptop or an iPad. How cutting edge are we?

Turns out, not very.

My dad, in his infinite kindness, stumbled across a functional, yet decidedly old-school TV while helping move out someone's house.  The owners graciously donated it to us, the TV Charity Case, and my dad brought over yet another unsuspecting TV.

But wait, it gets better.

While the new TV definitely helped us watch Netflix, it occurred to me that it did not help educate my children in the ways of Disney and I was getting tired of what seemed like mostly garbage my kids were watching.  Since Disney DVDs are somewhat hard to come by and expensive, I thought I'd round out the retro entertainment center we had at our house by adding a VCR.

Long story short, I went to Goodwill and bought a VCR and 8 Disney VHS tapes for less than $10.  I got it all hooked up and ready to roll.

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  We have had several family movie nights in the short time we've had the VCR.  We've watched Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, and Cinderella.  Tonight's feature was Babe.  We all sit in the living room and munch popcorn while my children get schooled in all things Disney.

I'm so thankful for a cheap and easy solution to our entertainment struggles.  I'm even more grateful for a way to spend time with my kids and expose them to quality, classic movies.

Thank God for the VCR!

Lord, thank you for the funny entertainment center we have.  But mostly, thank you that it's not about the fancy equipment, but about the quality of what we watch and the time we get to spend together doing it.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!