Day 962 -- Frankenthumb

While tearing down the race today, I managed to nearly slice my thumb off while cutting some fencing off of its supports.  We were in the throes of tearing down, and blood was gushing from my thumb.  I managed to get some gauze wrapped tightly around it with some help from my friends, but it didn't feel too good.  I worked for a couple more hours, before an athlete noticed that I was bleeding through the gauze.  When my boss looked at it, he declared that I would need stitches.  GAH!  I just wanted to finish cleaning up and get home.

Team Maddy is a 3Disciplines sponsored athlete that attends many of our events, and the family was there.   Is simply cannot describe how fantastic this family is, and I am blessed and thrilled to have had the opportunity to meet them and hang out with all of them.  If you want to read about something truly inspirational, consider this short article.  Anyhow, Team Maddy's mom noticed that I was having issues and offered to take me to the emergency room.  She sat with me the entire time and talked with me as I waited to go in and even held my hand when the doctor sewed me up.

My thumb needed four stitches, but I am extremely grateful for a few reasons.  First, it could have been much worse.  I was rushing while using a very large and sharp knife.   I could have taken my thumb completely off.  Instead, I have a small bandaid covering what looks like Frankenstein's thumb, which I have been affectionately calling "Frankenthumb".  Secondly, instead of waiting for hours in the ER to get the procedure done, I was admitted and treated quickly.  I was in and out in less than an hour.  I even made it to the crew's post-race dinner and meeting.  Finally, I made a dear friend in Team Maddy's mom which I count as a blessing and a privilege.


Thank God for my Frankenthumb!

Lord, thank you for your protection and blessing today.  In your name I pray, Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!