Day 1013 -- WHS Homecoming

It's always a crazy day.  This year was no exception.

Being one of the student council advisors is simultaneously fun, frustrating, stressful, emotional, and rewarding.  All of these feelings surface on homecoming day, where we plan and execute a formal assembly, a pep assembly, get an entire school's worth of votes for candidates, organize a half-time celebration, announce a new king and queen, and decorate for a dance.

My co-advisor, Kim, and I have been doing this for three years, and I have to say, I honestly couldn't do this without her.  In fact, I wouldn't do it without her.  We work incredibly well together and are extremely close.  My favorite thing about homecoming week is that I get to hang out with her more than normal.

We looked at each other last night and said, "Is this getting easier, or are we getting better at it?"  Because it seemed like we were able to enjoy this year's festivities much more than normal.  There were moments of frustration and stress, but levity, joy and fun were the predominant emotions of the day.

We concluded that it was easier this year because we have gotten better at it -- and that is encouraging, because if that's true, then theoretically every year should get a little easier.

I am thankful for the opportunity to hang out with my friend, for the chance to celebrate WHS school spirit, and to see all of the fantastic WHS alumni I did at the game last night.  The highlight of the game for me was running into one of my classmates from the graduating class of 2000.  We didn't get as much time to catch up as I would have liked, but just to be able to see him and get a hug was amazing.

We still have the dance tonight, but I'm happy and grateful to declare this day done!

Thank God for WHS Homecoming!

Lord, thank you for the fun and success of today's festivities.  Thank you for giving Kim and I the strength to get through it and for our friendship that sustains us.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!