Day 1022 -- Grand Rapids Marathon

Today, I completed the Grand Rapids Marathon in 3 hours and 33 minutes.  Not only was that a Boston Qualifying time (something I've always wanted to cross off my bucket list), but it was 2 minutes under my goal time.

I am so thankful that I managed to stay healthy during the course of training for this event, even though by doing so, it really didn't feel like I had trained quite enough.  This especially became apparent around mile 23, where the proverbial wheels seemed to come off.

I am grateful for my dad and Colby, who ran around the course cheering me on.  I saw them so many times I lost track, but their smiles and encouragement were something I cherished throughout the race.

I am thankful for Colby's strong suggestion that I run with my iPhone so that I could listen to music.  It quit working around the 24 mile mark.  It was awful, but it made me realize how wonderful it was the rest of the race.

I am thankful for a wonderfully executed race -- it was perfectly organized.  The event managers did a fantastic job.

I am thankful for my mom and Bob, who watched the kids for us so that we could get a few extra hours of sleep staying in Grand Rapids.

I am grateful for a perfect fall day to run.  Yes, it was chilly, but it was gorgeous.  And, even though rain had threatened throughout the night, it was gone well before the start of the race.

It rocked.  I am super sore today, but I have a smile on my face.  I think 3 hours and 33 minutes of hard running was just what I needed to work the emotion and mental exhaustion out of my system from last week.

Thank God for the Grand Rapids Marathon!

Lord, thank you for a successful day.  Thank you for helping me be strong throughout the race, but especially for getting me through the last couple of miles.  Thank you for my dad and Colby and my mom and Bob who helped make this day possible, too.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

Day 460 -- 9720 King Rd.