Day 1041 -- Beauty and the Beast

The Western High School Theatre Arts program is putting on Beauty and the Beast, the musical, this weekend.

Because I wasn't sure if or when I'd be able to go see it, I had taken the kids to see the dress rehearsal on Tuesday afternoon.  We could only stay for the first half before we had to leave for swimming lessons, but the kids enjoyed it more than I ever could have imagined.

Throughout the rest of this week, I had them asking me if they could go back again.

I have to admit, I loved it too, and I relished the thought of being able to support my students in this show that was so important in their lives.

So when they got home last night, I scooped them up, piled them in the van, and took off for the high school.  We bought balcony tickets and watched the show--just my three kids and me.  I had AJ in my lab and Breslin and Dharia snuggled up close on either side of me.  It was heaven.

At intermission, we ventured to the teachers' lounge, where we snacked on popsicles, crackers, and water and talked about our favorite parts so far.

I can't explain the feeling I had seeing them watch the second half with wide eyes.  They giggled at the funny parts, gasped at the scary parts, and clapped and danced along to the music.  When the actors and actresses came out on stage at the end, they stood without  prompting and applauded with huge smiles on their faces.

Afterwards, they wandered around the lobby, finding their favorite characters.  They got their picture taken with Belle, shook hands with the Beast, and said "Bonjour" to Lumiere.

It was a magical night for me.  Walking out to the van afterwards and hearing the kids sing "Be Our Guest" while spinning and dancing down the sidewalking--it hit me that this was one of the best nights of my life.  I had so much fun with my kids, and I had them all to myself.  It was a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Thank God for Beauty and the Beast!

Lord, thank you for this amazing night.  I am so, so grateful for this precious memory.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!