Day 1049 -- Unexpected Long Run

I have been struggling with my triathlon training this time around.

When I decided to do Lake Placid, I was uber-focused and determined.  I did each and every workout that was listed in typical OCD fashion (at least "typical" when it comes to working out...I'm not sure the term OCD applies to any other area of my life).  If I missed a workout for any reason, I rearranged my schedule to make sure I fit it in somewhere else.  I never truly missed a workout.

This time, I am rarely doing anything.  I'm not sure that's going to pan out.  It's almost like I haven't really decided that I'm doing the race in January.  I don't really know what my problem is.  But I do know it's scary because 1) it's sort of terrifying to do an Ironman without having really trained for one and 2) not training isn't really me.  I don't miss workouts.  I don't skimp on training.

Today I said, out loud, "I am doing this Ironman."  Colby asked me what my workouts were going to be and I shrugged.  But then I immediately got my running stuff on and went for a run.  I really believe this was a turning point for me.  I was planning on doing an hour's worth of running, which lands me somewhere between 7.5 and 8 miles, typically.  Not even a mile in, I found myself enjoying the run so much that cars passing me must have wondered what was wrong with me.  I had a huge smile plastered on my face.  I had been missing it terribly without knowing it.  When I returned home, I decided to go out again.  I sipped some water, ate a few Shot Bloks, and headed out for another hour.

It felt so good.

I don't understand why I choose to not workout.  It's the only thing I know of that is guaranteed to make me feel better afterwards.  It's a special kind of therapy for me and I think I had forgotten that.  I'm so grateful that I was reminded of it today.

Thank God for an unexpected long run!

Lord, thank you for giving me the strength and time to go for a really long run today and for using it to remind me of how important this is in my life.  PLease give me the strength to continue my training.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!