Day 1181 -- Random Stranger in the Sand

We were at the beach all day today, which is evidenced by our red faces and shoulders tonight.  Although we were diligent about applying SPF 30 all day, our Michigan pastiness was no match for the blazing Alabama sun.

Being at the beach itself is something to be thankful for, undoubtedly.  But, once again, I was amazed by my kids as our day unfolded.

A group of boisterous college guys were camped out nearby, and were amusing our kids throughout the afternoon by their antics.  They would watch in amazement as the boys ran down the beach throwing a football and giggle as the boys sprinted headfirst into the waves.

Later on, once of the more outgoing guys approached my observing children and flopped down in the sand.  Not sure where this was going, Colby and I watched intently as he calmly asked them to bury him.  Our kids spent almost a half an hour painstakingly burying this random stranger in the sand, laughing at his jokes, and considerately trying to keep sand out of his face.

When they were all done, he jumped up like a monster and chased them around the beach, much to their delight.  Colby and I were about to ask how much he charged for babysitting when he reached for his phone in his pocket and realized it wasn't there.

For the next 20 minutes, all of us searched through the sand for the phone.  The kids used their shovels and pails to uncover the area where they buried him.  I looked around the beach where he chased them around.  When Colby finally suggested that one of his friends call him, the friend calmly said, "But I have your phone right here!"

I am thankful that my kids managed to take a somewhat random and strange situation and turn it into something memorable, hilarious, and wonderful.  They are awesome.

Thank God for our random stranger in the sand!  And for our kids, who make everything less weird!

Lord, thank you for my awesome kids and for a fun day out on the beach.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!