Day 1198 -- Wowed

Today I was wowed by one of my students.

It all started last Friday afternoon, when he approached me at the end of the day.  He wanted to do his speech as a senior for the Academic Celebration on"Choose Kind."  He asked me for some advice and/or examples on how to best deliver his message.

My heart swelled in pride for this amazing young man, who not only read RJ Palacio's book, but who I believe chooses kind on a daily basis and is one of the most outstanding student I've had the opportunity to teach.

But this swell was minor compared to the gut punching (in a good way) I felt Sunday as I sat on stage at the Academic Celebration.  I discreetly (I hope) wiped away tears as he talked about ways that he had been chosen kindness and how kindness could change the face of Western High School.

I was wowed.

Today, before the end of the day he walked into my room.  He gave me a copy of the speech he wrote and gave me a hug.  I told him how amazingly proud of him I was.  And then there was this:



I am humbled and touched by this and it just reinforces to me the power of the "Choose Kind" message.  The world needs to hear it and keep on hearing it.  And I need to live it.  I feel blessed for that affirmation today.

Thank God I was wowed!

Lord, thank you for the overwhelming warm fuzzies you've given me through this young man.  Thank you for his bravery, thank you for for his strength.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!