Day 1: This guy...

Breslin waited until tonight to tell us that his poinsettia fundraising order was due tomorrow.  He didn't have a single order.  Actually, I'm pretty sure he hadn't pulled it from the depths of his backpack until this evening.

Colby and I love Breslin.  He is quirky and brilliant.  He is sweet and empathetic.  But, even though he has a firm grasp of the human digestive system and an impressive command of cell biology, he absolutely does not understand the finer points of social norms.

Translate: Breslin calling friends and family to ask if they would like to buy a poinsettia alternated between episodes of hilarity and near-unbearable awkwardness.

He opened with, "Hello, this is Breslin Sharp." Yes, he included his last name, even when calling people like his Grandma Kathy (who he sees pretty much ever day).  Heaven forbid he should be confused with some other 3rd grade, poinsetta-selling Breslin.

Colby and I did our best to coach him through the niceties of phone conversations.  We had to tell him in no uncertain terms was he was to hang up without saying , "Thank You" and "Goodbye." We even got him to work in "I'm going to have a lot of fun in Mackinac" if a customer purchased one of his wares.

Social graces don't come naturally to my Breslin, but I think he grew considerably tonight.  I wish you could have all heard it.  Colby and I were smiling from ear to ear as we listened to conversation after conversation--successful sale after successful sale.

It was a night I'll never forget.

Thank God for This Guy!

God, thanks for making Breslin EXACTLY THE WAY HE IS.  He's awesome.  I'm so glad I get to be his mom.  Amen.




Comments

David R. said…
I'm glad you're doing this again.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!