Nothing New Here



I know that New Year's Resolutions get mixed reviews. Some set resolutions in earnest. Others roll their eyes at the futility. Still more argue that resolutions shouldn't be saved just for a New Year.

I fall very squarely in the first camp. I love setting New Year's resolutions, being fully aware that I might fail miserably. I'm also totally okay with tweaking resolutions as the year goes by and making new resolutions at random points throughout the year.

I'm also notorious for biting off more than I can chew and for letting my failed attempts at resolutions discourage me to the point of quitting. So, I can also empathize with people who find setting them futile.

In short, I'm a hot mess, but I guess that doesn't stop me from trying to start the New Year right.

So, here is the first resolution that I am exploring this year:

----------------------------------

I am not buying anything "new". I want to commit to the environment by limiting my purchase of materials and goods that are not previously used or upcycled.

Thrifting has always been a fun hobby for me and I am passionate about the health of our planet, so I think this will be a good fit for me. I want to be intentional about what I purchase, where it comes from, and how its future will affect the planet.

There are some things that I know I can't or shouldn't buy second-hand, so I'm making a list of things that are okay to purchase new. These include cleaning products, cosmetics, undergarments, and running socks/shoes. I am also going to allow myself to buy race merchandise (such as a sweatshirt from finishing Ironman) and 1-2 souvenirs from travel (if we are allowed to travel this year). 

But even these things I will be more intentional about. I want to start buying my beauty products from Lush and Beauty Counter, companies that are committed to clean products and environmentally friendly packaging. I can also buy undergarments from companies like Pact or Everlane, who use recycled or environmentally friendly materials, have a sustainable/fair trade labor chain, or are zero waste. Even souvenirs could be things made by local artists instead of mass-produced merchandise.

I'll be sharing my adventures, treasured finds, victories and defeats here. I hope you can join me, encourage me, and share any tips/tricks you have, too!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love lush! And I really love their samples so I can try things before buying them! I have been addicted for more than 10 years now. I'm trying to pare down to what I actually need from there because it gets a bit pricey
David R. said…
Cool resolutions! I'm working on decreasing my purchasing/use of plastics (generally). So much stuff we make out of plastic or package in plastic could be done in glass or paper or something else.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!