Day 259 -- First Day of School Cookies

Today I am thankful for the tradition that my mom started with Evan and I in elementary school.  When we got home from our first day, she would always make her delicious chocolate chip cookies.  We would eat them and talk about how the day went. 

Today was a good first day, as far as first days go.  We had a kick-off assembly this morning that was a ton of fun and my classes went pretty smoothly, despite the fact that I had to talk pretty much non-stop the entire time.  Despite what you may think, I hate those days of teaching where I am the center of the room for the majority of the hour.  I'd much rather play the role of "facilitator" than be center stage. 

After school, we had a beast of a workout in cross-country.  It took forever and it was very challenging, especially since the kids were doing it after a full day of school for the first time.  By the time I picked up the kids and got home, the simple task of making chocolate chip cookies seemed like a monumental task.  But, I did it. 

I wouldn't say that the cookies were my best work (no applesauce cookies, that's for sure), but the kids were excited to eat them, and it was nice to reminisce on some of the other first days that Colby and I have experienced.  It was also fun and more than a little scary, to think about what next year's first day will be like, when Breslin is coming home from kindergarten.

Speaking of first days, I took a picture of Breslin and Dharia together on their first day of preschool this year.  At least, I should say I tried to take a picture.  The best one was with Breslin's mouth open in mid-sentence.  Dharia was picking her nose.  I won't post it here, but I will keep it on my phone to make me laugh if I ever need occasion to.

Thank God for first day of school cookies!

Lord, thank you for helping us all get through the first day of school.  Thank you for the chance to carry on a cool tradition with my own family.  Thank you for my mom, who taught it to me.  I am so grateful for the chance to spend precious moments with my kids like I did today after school.  Help me to be appreciative and not take these fleeting times for granted.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!