Day 345 -- Xaxeyy

Today, at Panera, Breslin started saying what sounded very much like "Sexy!" very loudly across the restaurant.

Colby and I looked at each other, horrified at what we were hearing come out of our sweet little boy's mouth.

He's reading everything now.  Is it possible that he could have seen the word somewhere and sounded it out on his own? 

We peppered him with questions.

"Buddy, where did you hear that word?"

"Did you see it somewhere?"

"We probably shouldn't use that word, okay, Bres?"

He looked at us with tears in his eyes, then laid his head down on the table.

Later, when we got home, he got out his dry erase board.  Colby and I were sitting on the couch when he came out and proudly showed us his board.  On it were six letters, all in caps:

XAXEYY

Painstakingly, he sounded it out for us.

Go ahead, try it.

Does it sound like "sexy" a little to you too?

He's been in the habit, lately, of making up his own words and writing them down and sounding them out.  The light dawned in both of our heads, whereupon Colby and I laughed (in relief? in guilt?) and hugged our Breslin, who is the only child I know of who could make up a word that crazy, have the ability to sound it out, and have the bad luck for it to sound like something he would get questioned about.

I'm still not sure that's what I can blame the recent "crackhead" incident on, but at least I know that my son still can't really describe anything as sexy with any sort of accuracy.

Thank God for Xaxeyy!

Lord, thank you for my son, for his brain and for his sweet nature.  Thank you that he is still so innocent.  I am so grateful that you gave us the ability to understand what he was communicating with us tonight.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Made me laugh a good long laugh...love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!